Saturday, December 22, 2012

The One With My Early Christmas Present

For those of you who don't know, Paige has been pre-diagnosed with Apraxia of Speech.  One of the symptoms of this, is that they can lose sounds they once said perfectly.  Each time this has happened for Paige, it has been a red flag for me to get her more help.  It has been hard on her & hard on me.  I get very emotional when it happens, I just feel so bad for her.  She has lost both her B & P sounds, which are some of the most basic sounds to make. 

Each night when Rick lays her down for bed he talks with her & gets her to practice saying different things.  Kind of an unofficial mini speech therapy session.  They both seem to love it.  Last night, Rick told me to come in her room, so I did.  She then said her P sound perfectly!  It for sure made me tear up.  A few minutes later, he called me in again & she said the B sound! 

I know that anything is possible, and there's a chance she could loose them again, or loose new sounds (there are lots of ups & downs with Apraxia), but I am so thrilled & proud of her!  She has worked so hard for months & been so patient.  I could tell she was proud of herself too.  I honestly could not think of a better Christmas present from or for her.  We are excited to show it off to all of our family this weekend.  It made me the happiest mom ever. 

Great job, Paige!!  You are amazing!


No comments: